Fake videos of General Hospital star Steve Burton allegedly scam woman out of over $80k: 'I thoug... - DANY JRNL

ShowBiz & Sports Celebrities Lifestyle

Hot

Friday, August 29, 2025

Fake videos of General Hospital star Steve Burton allegedly scam woman out of over $80k: 'I thoug...

New Photo - Fake videos of General Hospital star Steve Burton allegedly scam woman out of over $80k: 'I thoug...

Fake videos of General Hospital star Steve Burton allegedly scam woman out of over $80k: 'I thought I was in love'

Fake videos of General Hospital star Steve Burton allegedly scam woman out of over $80k: 'I thought I was in love'

She was convinced to sell her condo for $350,000 and send the profits to the scammers, her family says.

By Mekishana Pierre

August 29, 2025 2:39 p.m. ET

Leave a Comment

GENERAL HOSPITAL - STEVE BURTON

Steve Burton on 'General Hospital'. Credit:

Bahareh Ritter/Disney via Getty

A Los Angeles woman is asking her community for help after scammers allegedly used fake, AI-generated videos of *General Hospital* star Steve Burton to con her out of more than $80,000.

Abigail Ruvalcaba, 66, says she met a man she thought was Burton via Facebook over a year ago. After they messaged and communicated through video messages, she thought the "relationship" they had established was real.

"I thought I was in love," Abigail told her local news outlet KTLA. "I thought we were going to have a good life together."

She added, "To me, it looks real, even now. I don't know anything about AI."

GENERAL HOSPITAL - STEVE BURTON

Steve Burton as Jason Morgan on 'General Hospital'.

Christine Bartolucci/Disney via Getty

Abigail reportedly sent the scammers at least $81,304 in gift cards, cash, and bitcoin, and also agreed to sell her family's condo for $350,000, turning the profits over to the scammers.

"It happened so quickly, within less than three weeks," said Vivian Ruvalcaba, Abigail's daughter. "The sale of the home was done. It was over with."

Vivian claimed that because her mother has suffered from mental illness and bipolar 1 disorder for years, she was an easy target for the scammers, which is why she believed the scammer posing as the soap star when they allegedly texted her saying they were Burton and needed money after losing properties in the L.A. fires.**

"She argued with me, saying, 'No, how are you telling me this is AI if it sounds like him?'" Vivian said of confronting her mother about the alleged scam. "'That's his face, that's his voice. I watch him on television all the time.'"

Jacob Elordi's likeness exploited in explicit deepfake video involving minor

Jacob Elordi

Keanu Reeves weighs in on deepfakes and AI: 'That's scary'

Keanu Reeves

Abigail may now have to move out of her family home, KTLA reports. Vivian told the outlet that her family is suing the scammers to try to reverse the sale of the condo, which was subsequently flipped to another owner.

"Now she's in complete debt, and now she's going to have to file for bankruptcy," Vivian said.**

The alleged scammers first approached Abigail on Facebook Messenger before switching over to WhatsApp, reported KABC, who reviewed one of the messages. "The beach house is something we will love, baby," the scammers posing as Burton allegedly wrote to her.

 Actor Steve Burton attends a cocktail reception hosted by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences

Steve Burton in 2015.

Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty

***Sign up for **'s free daily newsletter to get breaking TV news, exclusive first looks, recaps, reviews, interviews with your favorite stars, and more.***

In another message, the scammers allegedly wrote, "If selling the place is what will give us a fresh start and bring us closer to where we both want to be, then I am behind you."

"Had I not intervened when I did, she was scheduled to send the scammer $70,000 out of that money that was sitting there," Vivian told KABC. "She's ashamed. I know she is, and to put that stress on me, on herself, on my dad, the entire family, I know it weighs heavy on her."

Abigail Ruvalcaba did not immediately respond to **'s request for comment.

This is not the first time AI-generated clips of Burton have allegedly resulted in scams. Reports of deepfake videos using Burton's likeness have gotten so egregious, the actor issued a warning to his followers on social media.**

Burton told *ABC's 7 on Your Side* that he knows of hundreds of people who've lost money to scammers posing as him, and that he sees scammers responding to fan comments on his social media pages to attract them to other pages that will ask them for money.

"I see people come to my appearances and look at me like they've had a relationship online for a couple years, and I'm like, 'No, I'm sorry, I don't know who you are,'" he told the outlet. "And you just see, it's so sad — you see the devastation."

"I would never ask for money," he added.**

When he saw the video that allegedly scammed Abigail, he admitted, "Sounds like my voice for sure, 100 percent."

Representatives for Burton did not immediately respond to EW's request for comment.

The Ruvalcaba family has created a GoFundMe campaign to save Abigail's home and "dignity."

"When I discovered the scam in February 2025, I immediately contacted everyone involved, provided my Power of Attorney, and submitted three medical letters from her doctors confirming my mother lacked the capacity to make these decisions," Vivian wrote on the GoFundMe page.**

Vivian claims that the new owner of the condo offered to sell it back to the family for $100,000 more than what they paid, money that she says they do not have. She said the family plans to sue the companies that purchased the condo and are hoping their attorney can somehow stop Abigail from getting evicted from her home on Sept. 3.

As of publication, $1,365 has been raised for the GoFundMe campaign's $18,000 goal.**

Original Article on Source

Source: "AOL TV"

Read More


Source: VOGUE MAG

Full Article on Source: VOGUE MAG

#LALifestyle #USCelebrities