&34;You can feel that electricity in the room.&34; Maya Rudolph on how SNL's memorable Kamala Harris preelection cold open came together: 'That was her doing it
"You can feel that electricity in the room."
Maya Rudolph on how SNL's memorable Kamala Harris pre-election cold open came together: 'That was her doing it for the first time on air'
"You can feel that electricity in the room."
By Jessica Wang
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Jessica-Wang-author-photo-09363e72d10448209e1747c8dcf9d0ba.jpg)
Jessica Wang
Jessica Wang is a staff writer at . Her work has appeared in Bustle, NYLON, Cosmopolitan, and more.
EW's editorial guidelines
September 18, 2025 11:00 a.m. ET
Leave a Comment
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Maya-Rudolph-and-Kamala-Harris-SNL-110524-f26e2e924f664f2cabd19c103f7936e2.jpg)
Maya Rudolph and Kamala Harris during the pre-election cold open on 'Saturday Night Live'. Credit:
Rosalind O'Connor/NBC
- Former Vice President Kamala Harris made a surprise appearance on *Saturday Night Liv*e's pre-election cold open in November 2024.
- Maya Rudolph plays the former VP in the segment that features a mirror pep talk, only to be joined by the real Harris on the other side.
- Rudolph tells ** how that memorable sketch came together behind the scenes.
Despite the fast-paced logistics of that day, Maya Rudolph kept calm-ala and carried on-ala for *Saturday Night Live*'s memorable 2024 pre-election cold open featuring none other than former vice president and Democratic presidential nominee Kamala Harris herself.
In the season 50 sketch that also featured Chloe Fineman as CNN's Kaitlan Collins and James Austin Johnson as Republican opponent Donald Trump, Rudolph reprises her role as Harris to give herself a pep talk in the mirror on the eve of the 2024 presidential election during her final campaign stop in Pennsylvania. Sitting down to face her reflection, Rudolph is joined by the real Harris positioned on the other side of the mirror, resulting in rapturous applause from the unassuming live audience.
While speaking with ** to preview season 3 of her Apple TV+ comedy *Loot*, Rudolph reveals that just like every sketch on the fabled Studio 8H stage, the Harris sketch "came together very quickly." She also notes it evolved from an initial idea involving music superstar Beyoncé, a persona that Rudolph also frequently imitates, during her highly-publicized campaign stop for Harris in her hometown of Houston in October of last year. (P.S.: If you thought you spotted Rudolph at the final stop of the Cowboy Carter Tour in Las Vegas in late July, that was, in fact, her, lassoing in her 53rd birthday.) **
"I was once again inspired by Beyoncé because she was part of Kamala's campaign in Houston. I jokingly said to Lorne [Michaels, series creator], 'How am I gonna play both?'" Rudolph says of the sketch. "I think the show was off that week, and so he made a call and the next thing I know, he said, 'Beyoncé's not available, but Kamala would love to do it.'"**
Kamala Harris appears on 'SNL' with Maya Rudolph days before presidential election
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/KamalaHarrisSNL-b0602ac9b06b456bb2bd447110304ad3.png)
'SNL' cast changes: Here's everyone leaving, returning, or new for season 51
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Saturday-Night-Live-season-50-021525-39d1ee89896f426dba832b8e02c49ca9.jpg)
"In all the years that I worked on the show, it was normal for any of the candidates to come through the studio and appear when they were running," notes Rudolph, who was a cast member on the venerable sketch comedy between 2000 and 2007. "So I was hoping the whole time that she would come, but we really had no indication that she would."**
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/saturday-night-live-maya-rudolph-kamala-harris-091625-37aff7451f1c4d819bbecafacfefe061.jpg)
Maya Rudolph and Kamala Harris during the pre-election cold open on 'SNL'.
***Sign up for *'s* free daily newsletter to get breaking TV news, exclusive first looks, recaps, reviews, interviews with your favorite stars, and more.***
Harris flew in on that Saturday of the show, tackling the sketch despite having virtually no time to rehearse, according to Rudolph. "She wasn't even there for dress rehearsal," Rudolph recalls. "We did a dress with Ego [Nwodim], thankfully. Once Kamala got there, we went through the cards with her and we just did it. And that was her doing it for the first time on air."
The Emmy winner calls that moment "unlike any other experience I've had" on the show. "Those are the moments where you think, 'Wow, I'm so lucky to be here and witness this,'" Rudolph says. "You can feel that electricity in the room and the crowd responding to that."
As for whether Rudolph could pop up in some capacity in the upcoming season 51 returning early next month, "In true form to the show, I never know if I'm gonna be there until that week," she says. "The door's always open and as Lorne knows, I'm always happy to be there. It's my second home and I love it so much and I'm always so happy to get to go back. There's nothing better."**
Source: "AOL TV"
Source: VOGUE MAG
Full Article on Source: VOGUE MAG
#LALifestyle #USCelebrities