Jimmy Fallon says Mike Tirico told him to 'stop talking' during 2024 Olympics coverage: 'Chill ou... - DANY JRNL

ShowBiz & Sports Celebrities Lifestyle

Hot

Thursday, September 18, 2025

Jimmy Fallon says Mike Tirico told him to 'stop talking' during 2024 Olympics coverage: 'Chill ou...

New Photo - Jimmy Fallon says Mike Tirico told him to 'stop talking' during 2024 Olympics coverage: 'Chill ou...

The &34;Tonight Show&34; host said he was &34;so embarrassed&34; by the entire experience, adding, &34;Sorry, Mike Tirico.&34; Jimmy Fallon says Mike Tirico tol

The "Tonight Show" host said he was "so embarrassed" by the entire experience, adding, "Sorry, Mike Tirico."

Jimmy Fallon says Mike Tirico told him to 'stop talking' during 2024 Olympics coverage: 'Chill out, dude'

The "Tonight Show" host said he was "so embarrassed" by the entire experience, adding, "Sorry, Mike Tirico."

By Emlyn Travis

Emlyn Travis is a news writer at*  *with over five years of experience covering the latest in entertainment. A proud Kingston University alum, Emlyn has written about music, fandom, film, television, and awards for multiple outlets including MTV News, *Teen Vogue*, Bustle, BuzzFeed, *Paper Magazine*, Dazed, and NME. She joined EW in August 2022.

EW's editorial guidelines

September 18, 2025 10:59 a.m. ET

Leave a Comment

Jimmy Fallon; the Eiffel Tower during the 2024 Olympics

Jimmy Fallon; the Eiffel Tower during the 2024 Olympics. Credit:

Cindy Ord/MG22/Getty; Cheng Min-Pool/Getty

It's safe to say that Jimmy Fallon did not win the gold metal in sports commentary at the 2024 Paris Olympics. **

During Wednesday's episode of *The Tonight Show*, Fallon revealed that longtime Olympics commentator Mike Tirico had to tell him to stop talking so much during their coverage. The incident came up during a conversation with guest Jason Bateman, who had complimented Fallon on his gift of the gab after the host appeared on an episode of his *Smartless* podcast. **

"Talk show hosts are obviously the greatest guests ever, because you know what you need," Bateman pointed out. "You need people to talk. There are some people that come on, and they just answer questions like they're being interrogated."

Jimmy Fallon at the men's basketball gold medal game at the 2024 Olympics

Jimmy Fallon at the men's basketball gold medal game at the 2024 Olympics.

Jean Catuffe/Getty

However, Fallon noted that there have been times when his loquaciousness has backfired, too. "The opposite is I got to be a commentator at the Olympics last year in Paris," the host said. "Mike Tirico got me on there and I talked way too much and sounded like an idiot." **

Fallon explained that his frequent remarks were an attempt to "fill the air" as much as possible, much to Tirico's chagrin. **

"I was like, 'Uh, Mike, they're in the swimming pool and they're swimming and the pool,' and he's looking at me going [stop]," Fallon said, making a 'cut it out' action by waving his hand across his neck. "He actually grabbed my hand at one point. He's like, 'Stop talking.' He grabbed my hand like, 'Chill out, dude.'"

Donald Trump gloats over ABC pulling 'Jimmy Kimmel Live,' calls for axing Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers next

Donald Trump and Jimmy Kimmel

Jimmy Fallon's 'Tonight Show' scores with slate of post-'Sunday Night Football' shows

Host Jimmy Fallon during promos on Monday, August 11, 2025

The 50-year-old *Saturday Night Live *alum said that he was "so embarrassed" by the entire experience. "Sorry, Mike Tirico," he added. "He's a good dude." **

Fallon continued, "It was the worst. But I don't like dead air! So I didn't know."

***Sign up for **'s free daily newsletter* *to get breaking news, exclusive first looks, recaps, reviews, interviews with your favorite stars, and more.*****

The Emmy winner and Tirico cohosted NBC's coverage of the 2024 Paris Olympics closing ceremony in August 2024. He was one of several celebrity hosts for the global sporting event, including Snoop Dogg, Peyton Manning, and Kelly Clarkson. **

Fallon announced that he'd be heading to Paris as an Olympics commentator in March 2024, confirming the news on *The Tonight Show *while donning a beret in true Parisian style. **

"I had no idea that it was going to happen," Fallon said at the time. "I knew I was going to do something with the Olympics. I'd just go over and watch, but not that."

He continued, "I'm beyond excited. I'm beyond honored. I love France. I love America. I love the Olympics. I'm so excited about this."

Watch Fallon discuss his Olympics coverage in the clip above.

Original Article on Source

Source: "AOL TV"

Read More


Source: VOGUE MAG

Full Article on Source: VOGUE MAG

#LALifestyle #USCelebrities